Thursday, April 19, 2012

one pound down and cauliflower rice!

I lost a pound!! Party! Using Loseit is really really helping me (and no, I'm not a paid spokeswoman ;) ) It has been so tough! Luke uses Loseit too and he has to try to fill up his allotted amount of calories and I struggle to eat within mine, so I get kinda jealous sometimes. But I am doing well and it is so awesome to see results! Hurrah!

Luke and I have been riding bikes a little too (he got a new roadbike and I'm borrowing David's) It is such a fun way to exercise except that I am a real scaredy cat of all of the cars around me.

Yesterday I decided to make a lovely crockpot curry from none other than Martha Stewart. I put in all the ingredients, it stewed nicely all day and our house smelled of wonderful curry. We excitedly poured it into our bowls for dinner... it was gross. I HATE when I make dinners and they don't turn out! And Martha! She's usually got my back but she failed me this time. The curry had no flavor (you'd think something with like 8 cloves of garlic, 6 tsp of ginger and 2 cans of coconut milk would have flavor). Waaaaaaa. Luke took this photo of it with my iphone, and I'm glad we did because you get to see the cauliflower rice that we make with asian-y foods!



Cauliflower is some sort of magic low-carb-y vegetable that looks like it's packed full of starch but somehow isn't. Because we try to eat low-carb in this family, we use cauliflower rice as a substitute for the real stuff and it is so so easy!

Cauliflower Rice

1 head of cauliflower washed and cut into small florets - you can obviously use as much or as little cauliflower as you want, I'd say a whole head makes like 4 big servings of rice.

Put a bunch of the cauliflower florets into a blender or food processor. (I put in about a big handful at a time... if you put the entire cauliflower in at once, the bottom florets will get beaten to a pulp and you'll still have large ones up top, so it's good to do this in stages.)

Use the pulse feature on the lowest setting (ours is "stir") to chop up the cauliflower until it has the texture of rice. Pour it out into a tupperware and repeat with the rest of the florets.

Once all of your rice is processed, put a lid on the tupperware (I leave it cracked just a tiny) and microwave for about 6 minutes or until the cauliflower is soft/done.

That's it! It is a great great substitute for rice if you're trying to eat less calories or low-carb. Yum!

Here's our mealplan for this week:



1 comment:

  1. Congrats! (And boo! for the bland food.) I like the cauliflower thing. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete